(DRAFT) After completing Iona Olympia School, students will be able to:
Function effectively within their communities:
- Effectively lead, including empowering lay people within the congregation.
- Describe the different roles of presbyters, bishops, lay persons and deacons and demonstrate this understanding by working productively.
- Effectively use available tools to assess and synthesize the congregation.
- Demonstrate their skills in listening and pastoral care.
- Introduce and teach methods that allow individuals and congregations to grow in faith
- Describe the trends related to diverse populations in the diocese and use appropriate measures to ensure congregations are culturally competent.
Understand our Anglican tradition
- Describe the overall outline of the Book of Common Prayer; demonstrate its use in liturgy; discuss how the BCP expresses the theology of the Episcopal Church
- Demonstrate liturgical and canonical fluency
- Understand and perform sacraments of the Church and effectively prepare congregations to receive the sacraments.
Develop a healthy rule of life
- Ensure that processes and support people are in place for healthy self care.
- Develop an individual rule of life to maintain a balance between current life/family responsibilities, work schedule and other circumstances.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of time periods, key writers, key figures, and themes in the books of the Bible.
- Understand how history and culture affects our understanding of Scripture
- Effectively use tools available to explore Scripture.
Apply Scripture to real life
- Integrate Scripture into personal life
- Trace the history of the diaconate, from biblical and early church roots, through the middle ages, and including changes since the reformation. Consider exemplary deacons in each period.
- Develop and maintain respect for other points of view
Understand and reflect theologically
- Describe different models of theological reflection and be able to apply a model to issues in your ministry
- Understand diverse spiritual practices.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the different disciplines of Christian theology.
- Prepare and deliver homilies
- Build healthy teams
- Communicate clearly